Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Martha Wainwright - Komedia

I'd seen Martha Wainwright before, supporting her brother Rufus at the Dome, but for this gig she had her own band and a much more intimate venue. I haven't heard her album yet, but I did recognise some of her songs, some of which had a weird tendency to stop just as other songwriters would shift gear (would 'Modulate!' be the most anoraky heckle of all time?). Other songs sounded like the 'this is the first song I ever wrote' kind - although having a great drummer and guitarist can hide these things somewhat.

This gig reminded me of two others in the same venue - KT Tunstall who went down a storm despite being pretty average (the same reception was given to Martha), and Hem, who were wonderful. Unlike Hem, who held my attention the whole time, Martha was boring by the end. As she started a cover of the Stones' 'Street Fighting Man' (why?!), we left.

1 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger s said...

"Modulate! MODULATE!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home