Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Harold Budd - Brighton Dome, 21 May

Well, this was Harold Budd's farewell concert and I'm sorry to say it was pretty dull. By far the best bit was the opening section featuring the Balanescu String Quartet, who I'd never heard before.

The second half was one long improvisation featuring Budd, Jah Wobble, and Robin Guthrie amongst others. I've just found this quote from Guthrie about the event:

"I've no idea what to play or who I'm expected to play with. It's somewhat vague, for sure but, well, with a day or two to rehearse, if we can't come up with something wonderful we should't be there.."

Unfortunately, they didn't. The result was very dull, not helped by dreadful feedback which the sound man seemed unable to control.

What a shame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home